Have you been the victim of an accident? Perhaps you were involved in a road traffic accident? Maybe you were injured because of a faulty product? Or, did you suffer at the hands of medical negligence? No matter what situation you have been involved in, if you have been injured as the result of an incident that was not your fault, you will be considering making a claim to get compensation. It is very important to consult with a reputed Houston law firm in such situation.
Below, we reveal five things you need to know about making a claim:
- There is a time limit on all claims – One thing a lot of people do not realize is that there is a time limit when it comes to making a claim for an accident. This limit is three years. As an experienced law firm will tell you, you will have three years from the date of the accident and court proceedings must be issued within this period. The only exception is when the injury has happened over a period of time, for example, RSI. If this is the case, you will have three years from the date of diagnosis.
- You probably won’t have to go to court – A lot of people are put off making a personal injury claim because they do not want to go through the hassle and stress of a trial. However, it is unlikely that this will happen, as less than three percent of personal injury cases end up in the courtroom.
- You need to see a doctor – You need to ensure you avoid making one major mistake that a lot of personal injury victims unfortunately make, and this is failing to see a medical professional. Of course, if you have had the misfortune of suffering a severe injury you will have no choice but to go to the hospital. However, a lot of people that experience minor injuries end up bypassing a trip to see the doctor. Not only is this a bad approach to take in terms of looking after yourself, but it can also damage your chance of getting compensation to a huge extent. After all, the medical report is the most crucial piece of evidence when making any personal injury claim. Without this, how are you going to prove that you were injured in the first place?
- You don’t need any money to begin your claim – There are so many people in the U.S. that would have been entitled to compensation yet they never make a claim. One of the reasons why this is the case is because of the huge costs entailed. But, this is only the case if you go for a solicitor that charges by the hour. If you go for a no win no fee solicitor you won’t actually need any money to begin your claim.
- You can claim for out of pocket expenses – You can claim for all of the costs you have suffered because of your injury. This includes childcare expenses, medical expenses, loss of income and so on and so forth.
Want more guidance regarding this topic? Read more: