Job interviews are tough. Whether you’re applying to be a sales associate at your favorite store or a lawyer at a top law firm, the whole process is nerve racking. The best way to to ace that interview and get a call back is to not only be confident, but prepared. Here’s how!
1. Be on time. No one wants an employee who can’t even show up for the interview on time.
2. Have a firm hand shake. It shows confidence, drive and dominance. Let them know you mean business — no one likes a weak flimsy fish hand.
3. Have freshly manicured nails in a basic color…no chips.
4. Have clean, polished hair.
5. Go light on the makeup. Unless you’r applying for a job that involves cosmetics…stay simple.
6. Dress appropriately: no jeans, short skirts, low-cut shirts, tank tops, or shorts! Those items are too casual for the work force. Also, dress for the job you want, not the job you have.
7. Leave your cell phone in the car. Don’t even be seen with it. It’s unprofessional to be on your phone while waiting for an interview. It shows what type of employee you’ll be, and what if it goes off during the interview?
8. Speak clearly and confidently. Don’t say umm, uhh, hmm, or hold on. Be ready when asked any sort of question.
Practice: Talking for a minute straight without pausing can be tough. Here is a little game that will help you prepare. Pick a topic (example: chocolate, sports, music) and talk about it for a whole minute without a pause or a hmm, uhh, or umm. Keep doing it until it’s perfect! This is a trick used by many actors to amp up their stage presence.
9. Bring an extra copy of your resume. You never know…
10 Bring a pen. Just in case you’re asked to fill out an in-house application.
11. No gum chewing, but make sure you have fresh breath.
12. Smile. Show them you have an amazing personality.
13. Be yourself. If it’s meant to be, it’ll happen. If it doesn’t…something better is just around the corner!
14. Follow-up. Show you want it. Call or e-mail a few days after the interview if you haven’t heard anything yet. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t get the response you want. Like I said, if it’s meant to be, it’ll happen!