Trend Alert: Hair Chalking
Posted 3 years ago by Amanda Raye
Rainbow and pastel hair was one of the hottest trends for 2011, and it’s still going strong. From top designers to our favorite celebs!
Thakoon Spring 2012 Collection
Narciso Rodriguez Spring 2012 Collection
Peter Som Spring 2012 Collection
See more hair inspiration on Fashion Launderette
If you love all these looks but are afraid of the commitment and possible damage, then chalking is for you!
Chalking is a technique that can give you this unique hair without bleaching. Best of all…it works on dark hair too! It’s something fun you can do when you’re in the mood for a temporary change that can make a big impact.
What You’ll Need
- Soft Pastel Chalk (no oil)
- Water Filled Spray Bottle
- Blow Dryer
- Flat Iron
- An old t-shirt you don’t mind ruining.
1. Take a 1-inch strand of hair and wet it with a spray bottle (skip this step if you have blonde hair)
2. Apply gloves and take a pastel of your choice. Rub it on your hair strand until it’s at your desired vibrancy.
3. Blow dry the hair strand until completly dry.
4. Go over the strand with your flat iron. This will help set it in. Make sure it’s on its lowest setting.
5. Brush and style as usual!
This will wash out during your next shampoo, so do as many strands as you’d like!
*Warning* It might stay in your hair for a few shampoos if you have natural blonde hair.
Check out this video tutorial from the wonderful Kandee Johnson as well!
Beautiful Hair Chalking Results
What do you think of this rainbow hair trend? Leave your thoughts in the comments below!