The living room sets the tone for the rest of the house, so making it look like you mean business is important. But because old houses get outdated fast, it can be easy to buy expensive modern furniture or pick out cheap furniture that looks even cheaper after a few years. Here are ten living room design ideas on budget and modern.
Make a bold statement. Start with a gallery wall.
- Gallery walls are all the rage these days, and for a good reason: they’re one of the easiest ways to create a cohesive look in your living room on a budget. To create a gallery wall, make a collage of art or pictures that are similar in style and color, or choose pieces that are different with different themes.
- You can either buy a big work of art or use several small works together as a large piece of art. If you’re on a low budget and want to make your living room stand out, use an oversized painting that takes up most of the wall space behind your couch. You can also add an arched mirror across your gallery wall so your visitors can see the view while sitting on your couch.
Create an accent wall.
An accent wall can be a focal point in any room, so it’s a great way to add color and style to the room. It also helps define the space and gives your living room visual interest without breaking the bank. The best part is that you can match or contrast your accent wall with other elements in your home decor scheme—you don’t have to commit!
- Choose an eye-catching color. If you’re looking for something bold, use an intense hue like red or orange; if you prefer something more subtle, opt for white or neutral tones.
- Use patterned wallpaper. Patterned wallpaper is another great way to add an artistic flair without having to do too much work yourself! You can choose from stripes or floral prints (which will look especially pretty if they coordinate with other design elements throughout your home).
Create a sophisticated space with a monochromatic color palette.
You may be wondering how to create a sophisticated space without spending a lot of money. One way is to use a single color throughout the room, or at least in different shades of that color. This can create an elegant and unifying look for your living room with a gold plated mirror on the wall.
- Use all the shades of one hue for walls, furniture, artwork, and accessories
- Try using two colors that are close on the color wheel (like purple and pink)
Create a show-stopping focal point with a bold shade of paint.
A bold shade of paint can make all the difference in your living room. Whether you’re going for a color that suits your personality, reflects the colors in your home’s decor, or simply makes a statement, choosing the right shade of paint is an easy way to give your space an instant makeover.
For example, if you have bold furniture pieces with neutral walls (like a sofa and coffee table) go for something like blue or white. Both these shades are deep enough to stand out against white walls without being too overwhelming, as well as being harmonious with other light neutrals like tan/off white/creamy gray tones.
Use fabrics and textures that are interesting and eye-catching.
When considering the fabrics in your living room, remember to use interesting and eye-catching materials. You want your home’s design to be on point, but don’t go overboard. Soft fabrics can be inviting, but not if they’re too soft! Ensure your couches and chairs are made of durable material that is easy to clean (and care for). These materials will allow you to keep a modern look without all the fuss.
Fill your living room with plenty of plants and flowers.
You won’t see this one coming, but plants are a huge part of modern living room decor. They can help to improve air quality and are proven to reduce stress, allergies, and sleep issues. Plants also increase productivity and mental health. If you’ve got a green thumb or know someone who does, fill your living room with plenty of plants and flowers!
Hang artwork that suits your style on the walls around the room.
If you want to create a more modern living room, one of the easiest ways to do so is by displaying artwork that suits your style. Artwork can be expensive and finding pieces that complement each other can prove challenging for those on a budget. If you’re looking for affordable art, look for local galleries and check out their websites for the photos of their current works; you can always choose which ones work best with the rest of your decorating scheme.
Update the lighting in your space to create a more modern feel.
- Update the lighting in your space to create a more modern feel.
- Recessed lighting is an affordable, easy way to add some sleek elements to your living room. They come in all different shapes, sizes, and colors and can be installed horizontally or vertically (depending on what you prefer). And if you’re looking for something that doesn’t require any installation at all, chandeliers are another great option. The best part about them? If you get tired of one-color palette or style, simply switch out the lampshade! If neither of these options appeal to you, go for a floor lamp instead. This will give off even more light than recessed lights do without taking up as much space as pendant lights would require.
Add an extra-large mirror to the living room to give it more depth and brightness.
To make your living room feel more spacious and brighter, add a rectangular extra-large mirror to the wall. This will reflect light, giving the room a more open feel. If you’re feeling more adventurous, you can also choose a gold or silver mirror to complement your décor. Look for one with a beveled edge that creates an arch effect that draws attention to it by creating a focal point.
It’s possible to update the look of your living room without spending a lot of money
A living room redecoration doesn’t have to be a major home renovation. In fact, there are lots of easy ways to update the look of your living room without spending a lot of money:
- You can do it yourself. It’s common for homeowners to become DIYers once they’ve moved into their place, and plenty of resources will teach you how to remodel without hiring someone else. For example, our step-by-step guide on remodeling kitchen cabinets is a great place to start!
- You can get creative with furniture placement. When moving around furniture in your living room, think about how each piece works together and what visual impact it has on the overall feel of the space—this will help you create an inviting atmosphere that reflects who you are as individuals or couples. It also helps if everyone agrees ahead of time on which pieces belong where! It’s easier than fighting over whose couch should go where later down the line, especially if those arguments turn ugly fast
These 10 easy ways to create a more modern living room on a budget will help you transform your space into something beautiful and functional. You don’t need to spend a lot of money to get started, and the best part is that you can try out different ideas until you find something that works for your style!