If you’re planning on sprucing up your bathroom, but you’re not flushed with cash, there are lots of little improvements you can make that won’t cost very much. From decorative touches here and there to low-cost alterations, let’s take a look at some cost-effective ways to get your bathroom looking great.
1. Give your bathroom a lick of paint – it won’t cost much, and it will make the whole room look much brighter and fresher.
2. If you have a wooden floor, sand it down and re-varnish it — or paint it another color entirely.
3. Declutter surfaces to make the room look bigger — put toiletries into cupboards or invest in some storage units below the sink.
4. Buy some new towels – choose colors that coordinate with your walls or bathroom furniture.
5. Shower baths can free up valuable space and cost less than you think.
6. Add a glass bowl with floating candles in it (if you have room) to add warmth.
7. Put some hooks on the back of your bathroom door for towels, or for your clothing while you’re in the shower or bath.
8. Fill a glass jar or container with brightly colored glass beads – or shells you have collected.
9. Change your towel rail, toilet roll holder, and taps to a more modern style.
10. If you have children, avoid clutter by assigning them their own pretty storage basket.
11. Replace your shower curtain.
12. Buy a new bath mat.
13. Add some artwork if you have enough space, but be careful if your bathroom gets very steamy. Buying a new mirror from a thrift shop or flea market is another great option if your bathroom lacks a fan.
14. Change the knobs or handles on any cupboards or cabinets – you can find some very pretty ones online.
15. Tile the countertop around the sink – you can opt for a bright color to liven the room up or mix and match different colors.
16. Change a traditional square or rectangular bathroom for a corner one to free up space.
17. For a quirky look, make your own wallpaper using pages from vintage magazines by just pasting them to the walls.
18. Swap a traditional opening door for a sliding one – then you can use the space behind the door for a shelf.
19. If your budget permits, try updating your toilet to a more modern design. Before doing so however, it may be a good idea to check with a Los Angeles plumber to see if this is a job you can tackle yourself.
20. Change your light shade to something more interesting – maybe even a chandelier.
21. Replace your curtains or blinds, or swap them for wooden shutters.
22. Buy a new funky toilet seat to add a splash of color and create a talking point.
23. Install a floating shelf above the toilet for additional storage space or some plants.
24. Scent diffusers are attractive and can help to keep the room smelling fresh too.
25. Update your counter accessories such as your soap dispenser and toothbrush holder.
26. Add in a fun sculptural item or two.
27. Add a table lamp if you have room to create ambience.
28. Consider painting a mural on one wall for a unique look and feel.
29. Freshen any grouting around your tiles by using an old toothbrush and some baking soda.
30. Add fresh flowers to make the room smell great.
31.Replace your shower-head.
I hope this has given you lots of ideas and inspiration about how to rejuvenate your bathroom without having to splash out lots of cash. It doesn’t have to take a lot of money to make things look great, just a bit of time and imagination!
*This article was contributed.