Our home is where we have to feel safe but the problem is there are several hidden health dangers many do not know anything about. The substances we will highlight below might already be a part of your sanctuary and can create some illnesses, diseases, and even death.
Since we are 100% sure you do not want to be faced with health problems due to not knowing, here are the most common hidden home health dangers you have to know.
Even if your home’s gas system is covered by a good home warranty like from the Cinch Home Services recommendations, prevention should always be a priority. Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless. This is why it is known as the invisible killer.
We are referring to a gas generated by fossil fuels used inside heating and cooking devices, vehicles, and several other appliances. When the gas builds up and it cannot get out, it quickly affects humans. Flu-like symptoms start to appear like confusion, vomiting, and headaches. Then, it acts like a poison that will kill you.
Over 400 people die every single year due to poisoning with carbon monoxide and around 50,000 end up in the hospital. At the very least, make sure to have carbon monoxide detectors installed inside your home.
This naturally occurring gas is radioactive. It can enter the property through gaps present in pipes, joins, or through foundation cracks. Fortunately, the real danger of this gas is when you are faced with a long-term exposure. Unfortunately, the risk is serious since people can get lung cancer. In fact, radon stands out as the second common lung cancer cause, with smoking being first.
The only thing that you can do to discover if your home is affected by radon exposure is test for it. Look for a professional or buy your own testing device. Regardless of what you choose, if radon is detected, act as soon as possible. You can get your test results in around 48 hours.
Mold is the most-known of the hidden home health dangers but it is still not taken as seriously as it should be. This fungus is sometimes detectable through smell but not always. So, do not assume your home is mold-free just because you do not smell it.
The big problem is that mold can easily grow without being detected, especially when moisture is present. Exposure can lead to asthma, allergic reactions, and several other respiratory issues.
As a rule of thumb, if you suspect mold, you most likely have it. The characteristic smell is hard to miss. For a thorough test, you have to hire professionals. If mold is detected, the same course of action is highly recommended.
Contrary to popular belief, asbestos is not a single material. It is the name that was used for several corrosion- and heat-resistant materials used in construction around WWII. Their popularity was so high that it became very popular in flooring and insulation, mainly due to durability.
The danger lies in the fact that asbestos fibers can easily be inhaled and released during home renovations or after incidents. They lead to serious internal scarring and cancer. The good news is that asbestos ended up banned in the seventies. The bad news is that several shady constructors still used them.
A really important thing to remember is that you should never look for asbestos in your home alone. Only highly-trained professionals should handle such a task because they have access to the necessary safety equipment to both test for asbestos and remove fibers properly. Repairs involve one of two tasks:
- Encapsulation – This will contain or bind the fibers.
- Enclosure – Other materials are utilized to cover the found asbestos.