A busy intersection is one of the most dangerous places to be while driving a vehicle. There are many uncertainties, including whether other drivers will obey the traffic signals. If one driver does not heed the rules of the road, great destruction can result. It is imperative drivers do everything they can to prevent an accident at dangerous intersections.
5 Reasons Intersections are so Dangerous
Intersections can be deadly when everyone does not pay attention to the traffic signals. Some intersections can be more dangerous than others. When someone is injured in a serious intersection accident, they may need to get help from a car accident attorney. The following are the top reasons intersections can be dangerous.
1. Some intersections are incredibly busy. The higher volume of vehicles naturally makes some intersections more dangerous than others. The more drivers there are at an intersection, the greater the chances of mistakes being made.
2. Poor visibility also makes some intersections deadlier than others. Hills, poor lighting, and weather conditions can all make an intersection dangerous.
3. Bad drivers are one of the biggest risks when it comes to dangerous intersections. Drivers must approach intersections carefully, and they must follow the rules of the road to keep themselves and other drivers safe.
4. Inadequate signage can also pose risks at intersections. Visible signs that offer directions to drivers cut down on the dangers at intersections.
5. If there are no turning lanes at an intersection, this issue can increase the dangers. Without a turning lane, drivers must take great risks to turn.
All intersections can become a danger to drivers. According to the Federal Highway Administration, 50% of all car accident fatalities occur at intersections. Being a proactive driver and exercising caution can save lives.
5 Tips for Preventing Accidents at Intersections
Although any intersection can become a source of danger, there are some ways drivers can protect themselves and others. Intersections should always be approached carefully. Drivers should pay careful attention and ensure it is safe before they proceed.
1. Slowing down at an intersection is imperative. Drivers should always drive much slower when approaching and going through an intersection than they do on the highway.
2. Watching for cross-traffic is essential. It is important to remember that distracted drivers may not always pay attention to the rules of the road.
3. It is important drivers keep a lookout for pedestrians. It only takes one mistake to end a life.
4. Drivers must avoid distractions at all costs while driving, especially when approaching an intersection. Distractions are one of the top causes of accidents.
5. It is also integral that all drivers pay careful attention to signs and traffic lights. These are not suggestions, but hard and fast rules that must be followed.
Get Help With Serious Accidents
When a serious accident occurs, injured victims are often left alone to pick up the pieces of their lives. Many serious accidents warrant hiring an attorney to help. Hiring an attorney can give accident victims peace of mind when they have been seriously injured at an intersection.
While some intersection accidents cannot be avoided, it is imperative drivers practice caution. Following the rules of the road and driving slowly can both help to cut down on the risks of busy intersections. Checking for cross traffic and proceeding carefully will keep drivers safe at intersections. Those who become injured victims need to protect their rights.