This uptown-chic faux hawk was by far our favorite hairstyle backstage at New York Fashion Week. When we asked celebrity hair stylist, Patrick Melville, the creator of the look, how to do it, we were shocked to learn that this intense hair-do isn’t difficult for us regular fashionistas to re-create at home.
The best part? Melville used only Aveeno products — we love seeing our favorite budget brands backstage!
First, Melville created lots of volume for his female version of the faux hawk using Aveeno Pure Renewal Dry Shampoo. According to Melville:
One of the things I just love about dry shampoo is how versatile it is as a styling tool. For the Monika Chiang show, I applied the Aveeno Dry Shampoo to the root of the hair to create the texture and lift you see at the crown.
Below are five tips to create this faux hawk at home, a great look for a night out with the girls!
1. Wet the hair down with water, add a little volume spray at the root and apply a small amount of a styling glaze; blow dry hair with a paddle brush to help create shine.
2. Next, flat iron hair straight and apply Aveeno Pure Renewal Dry Shampoo to the root to create texture and lift. Next, use a tall comb to tease the root.
3. Take a paddle brush and smooth over hair for additional shine, your hair will still have a lot of volume up top.
4. Take a banana clip from the back of the head and tie it to create a faux hawk. Your hair on the side will be sleek, while hair on the crown will have volume.
5. Finally, tease the hair coming out of the banana clip to create texture, and spray a bit more dry shampoo at the end of the hair to create some separation to finish the look.
Think you’d ever try this look at home? Let us know in the comments below!