Some sunlight is good as it helps the body maintain bone health. However, you must protect the skin from excessive exposure to these harmful rays. According to the American Cancer Society, overexposure to sun rays can cause early signs of skin aging. You may notice wrinkles, liver spots, rough skin patches, and more on your face and hands.
The best way is to apply a high-SPF sunscreen for everyday protection. However, every cream is made with different formulations, so you need to check and choose the one that suits your skin tone and type.
This article mentions how you can choose the right sun protection formula for your skin tone and type. Read on to leverage the knowledge and better care of your beautiful skin.
Why is it vital to choose a suitable sunscreen for your skin tone and type?
Well, there is a reason why we have different types and tones of skin all over the world. While a part of the world is exceptionally fair, others have a wheatish and darker tone. The fundamental difference in skin tone occurs because of melanin levels.
Choosing the right sunscreen for your tone and type is essential because it helps prevent skin irritation, premature aging, and damage from pollutants. So, if you have melanin-rich skin, it is best if you purchase a dark skin sunscreen for yourself. It is a myth that people with dark tones do not need sun protection; they are equally at risk of developing sun damage issues in their skin. Ensure that the product does not leave a whitish-chalky lining on your skin.
How to determine the right sunscreen for yourself?
Dermatologists and aestheticians have worked hard to understand different skin types and their reactions to chemicals, minerals, and natural products. Hence, there are ample sunscreen options available; in the market. However, there are a few items that you must always consider while buying sunscreen. These include:
- SPF 30 or higher: When you apply sunscreen, it naturally loses some of its potency; therefore, it is essential to look for a good one with SPF 30 and more. It will ensure sufficient protection against UV rays.
- Water-resistance: It is natural for people to sweat regardless of the weather. Therefore, buying one that stays on even when you sweat or swim is necessary. Also, you must still reapply sunscreens after a few hours.
- Broad spectrum: You should buy one that protects you from UVB and UVA rays. It ensures holistic safety from skin aging, cancer, and more.
- Mineral vs. Chemical: Minerals creams are made with natural and physical products such as zinc and titanium. On the other hand, chemical creams are made with octinoxate and avobenzone. The mineral products act as physical barriers, but the chemical ones enter your skin.
What to look for in sunscreens for different skin types?
We now know how important it is to select a suitable sunscreen for your skin type. Let’s now read forward to know what experts recommend for skin types.
- Dry Skin: Each skin care product you invest in should have hydrating properties to provide the required moisture and hydration to your skin. So, when buying a sun protection cream or lotion for yourself, ensure it has products like glycerin, hyaluronic acid, and ceramides to help retain moisture.
- Oily Skin: Although mineral-based sun protection creams work better; however, for people who have oily skin, it is better to go for chemical-based products, especially the ones with zinc oxide. It is because chemical products are drier than mineral ones. But, you may also find something in mineral products with extra effort.
- Sensitive Skin: People with sensitive skin must be very careful with every product they use. Dermatologists recommend using mineral sun protection products made with titanium dioxide. These are less irritating on the skin and benefit patients with rosacea, allergies, and eczema. You can also check products with nicotinamide, Vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, and more.
- Acne-prone Skin: It is challenging to find the right product for people with acne-prone skin, be it a moisturizer, sun protection, toner, or face cleaner. The basic rule of thumb for every acne-prone person is to go for lighter products that are specifically non-comedogenic. Using thicker products causes the skin to clog and flare up.
Caring for your skin begins as you enter your twenties. It is the right time to indulge in skincare to prevent early skin aging and damage. Most people do not know that sunscreens are beneficial for their skin; thus, they expose it to UV rays.
We hope this article helps you understand the importance of protecting your skin against harmful UV rays. Moreover, you can now figure out the best sun protection cream for yourself. Happy healing!