The goal is always to have that vibrant glow, beautiful, smooth, and even toned skin, but few get to achieve it. With hundreds of skincare products flooded in the market, it is always a constant battle to determine which is best for your skin. It may be intimidating at first, but if you have the right information, you can confidently maneuver through the world of skin care products like a pro.
So, where do you start? Below are some tips that will set you off when choosing the right skincare products:
Know Your Skin Type
There is never a lousy product! Often, people tend to pick products that are not right for their skin type. Do you have dry, oily, or sensitive skin? Knowing your skin type is the first way to determine which skincare product will work for you. If you are not quite sure of your skin type, you should be ready to make that trip to your dermatologist. Getting to know what works for you best will help get you that glowing and healthy skin.
- Dry Skin– You should make friends with products rich in shea butter, lactic acid, or jojoba oil. These ingredients will hydrate your skin and provide mild exfoliation to keep your skin looking radiant.
- Sensitive Skin– Shop for products that are rich in aloe vera, oatmeal, and shea butter. These ingredients are good moisturizers and will help your skin not to break out. It is important to remember that the fewer ingredients the product has, the safer it will be for you if you have sensitive skin.
- Oily Skin– Having oily skin means that your skin produces excess sebum, and the secret is to lower the sebum production. Products containing benzoyl peroxide, alpha-hydroxy acids, and hyaluronic acid should be your best friends. These ingredients are effective at controlling excess sebum production. Hyaluronic acid is so good for hydration.
Going natural with your skincare products is one of the best decisions you can ever make. Your skin deserves care with organic beauty products, just as you nourish your body with organic food. Organic skincare products are made from pure natural plant ingredients that often come with organic certification.
Examples of these organic products may include bentonite clay, cedarwood oil, chamomile, activated charcoal, and ginseng skin care. Some of the benefits of choosing organic skincare products over synthetic ones are:
- You do not have to worry about your health.
- They are packed with Beneficial Nutrients.
- They’re better for the environment.
Consider Your Needs
Is it wrinkles, marks, blackheads, pimples, or persistent acne unresponsive to the normal routine you are struggling with? Knowing what you want to fix or control in your skin will help you understand how to look for the right products that will effectively address the issues you are most concerned about.
If you have sensitive skin, you should be extremely cautious when choosing these products, as some may cause burning or itching to your skin.
Have a Patch Test before Buying
Like taking a driving test, you should have a patch test before buying your skincare products. A patch test will help you know if certain products or ingredients will cause allergic reactions, irritate your skin, or clog your pores. If it is not working for you at the store, it will not work for you when you get home. It is as simple as that!
The skin is the largest organ and it is pretty much part of your image. That is why taking care of it is your responsibility. Your skincare routine will determine how healthy and glowing your skin is. Choosing the right skincare products is one of the essential factors in that routine.
*Photos by Anthony Shkraba