As a project manager, you might be interested in earning the PMP certification. After all, it’s one of the most respected certifications in the field and can help you stand out as a leader in your organization. Earning your PMP certification is also beneficial because it shows that you have experience working with projects and have passed a rigorous exam. If you’re wondering how to get PMP certification online, read on!
Take the Eligibility Test
- The eligibility test is a 60-question multiple-choice exam that you must score 80% or higher on to pass.
- You can take the test as many times as needed to pass, but you will only be given three chances per year.
- The eligibility test costs $165 USD and can be taken at any Pearson Vue testing center.
Review the PMP ® Exam Content Outline
The PMP ® Exam Content Outline is a document that describes the knowledge, skills, and abilities that you must possess to become a PMP ®. This outline is updated every four years. It is divided into five knowledge areas:
Project Integration Management
Project Scope Management
Project Time Management
Project Cost Management
Read the PMBOK ® Guide, Fifth Edition, and Other Reference Material You Choose
This is the most important step of your preparation. The PMBOK ® Guide, Fifth Edition, should be read in its entirety and underlined by you. If possible, get a copy of the fourth edition and read it as well. The third edition is also useful to have on hand because it covers topics that didn’t make it into the fifth edition. For example, in the third edition there is a section on project life cycle and framework; this section has been combined with other sections in newer versions of the text.
It may seem obvious but if you don’t understand something in one version of PMBOK ® Guide then read another version until you do understand!
Take Practice Tests
- Take practice tests
You can take as many practice tests as you like. The more, the better! Just make sure that they are similar to the PMP exam.
- Take tests that are timed: There is no time limit on your PMP exam so it’s good to get used to timing yourself on a practice test first before taking an actual exam. You will have four hours in which to complete all questions on your actual test, so this should give you plenty of time (unless you are really bad at making decisions). If you’re not sure how long each question should take or if there’s anything else going on in your life besides studying for this certification, then start off with a timed practice test anyway and adjust accordingly once you’ve finished it.
- Use computer-based testing software: You’ll be using computer-based testing software when taking any type of certification exam—whether it’s from PMI or not—so make sure that whatever program they use mirrors what they’ll be seeing when sitting down at their computer during their certification day! This includes things like colors and fonts used throughout different screens/pages within each program; whether text scrolls across one line at once (as opposed to multiple lines) etc…
Take a Course from a Registered Education Provider (REP)
The first step in getting PMP certified is to take a course from a registered education provider (REP). This can be done online or in-person at an R.E.P-certified institution, and it will cover everything you need to know about project management. It’s important that you choose the right course, because there are over 1,000 REPs worldwide and each one has its own approach to teaching PMP courses and exams.
By choosing a REP that holds your state’s license, you can rest assured that your training is up to date with all of the latest changes made by Project Management Institute (PMI) and their organization standards for project management certification processes. You’ll also need to ensure that the REP has been granted approval by PMI before signing up for any class or exam preparation materials; this means they’ve met certain criteria set out by said governing body regarding quality control measures during each stage of development when producing educational material which may include: establishing curriculum standards across disciplines; designing assessment tools as well as evaluation rubrics used throughout every level within said programs (this includes ensuring content alignment across different classes offered); providing quality assurance processes “(QAPs)” are built into every syllabus created so students receive quality education without compromising academic integrity.”
Register to Take the PMP ® Exam
The PMP® certification is a globally recognized professional designation that signifies you have the skills, knowledge and experience to successfully lead and manage project teams. To be an effective project manager, you need more than just technical expertise—you also need leadership skills. The PMP® Certification demonstrates your commitment to lifelong learning in your field by investing time and money into earning it. As a result, employers will look upon you as being highly skilled and worthy of their trust.
To become certified as a PMP®, applicants must pass the project management professional certification administered by the Project Management Institute (PMI). You can take this test at one of over 4,000 testing centers around the world at any one of many different times throughout each year.* This means that if you’re prepared for some hard work now then tomorrow could very well be your lucky day!*
If you want to get PMP certification online, follow these steps.
If you want to get PMP certification online, follow these steps:
- Take the eligibility test. The first step in the process is to take a 60-question computer-based test designed to ensure that you have the minimum knowledge required for PMP certification. An online proctor will grade your answers and notify you of your results within two weeks.
- Review the PMBOK guide. Once you’ve passed the eligibility exam, it’s time to study! You can do this through self-study or with a mentor or instructor who has experience teaching PMP candidates; however, we recommend using an online course because it will give you access to supplemental material—including practice tests—that may not be available elsewhere. It will also save time by providing direct links between each chapter of your book so that they’re easy and convenient access when needed during study sessions with other resources such as videos on YouTube
- Read other reference materials (eBook) – free! The Project Management Institute provides free ebooks full of useful information about project management principles and techniques which are especially helpful when preparing for certification exams such as this one because they include techniques that aren’t included in most textbooks used at universities today but which could possibly only be found by searching online instead.”
The PMP certification is a valuable credential that can help you stand out from the crowd in today’s competitive job market. By following these steps, you will be well on your way to getting your PMP certification online and starting on a rewarding career as a project manager.