Looking good while working out is fun and exciting for most, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a chore in real life. For one, athletic wear and athleisure clothing do not come cheap. So when you buy a new tracksuit, yoga outfit, or even some new shoes, you want those things to last for a while!
In order to make that happen, you’ve got to understand how to take care of your items so that you can get the most use out of them:
For Clothes and Accessories
Athleisure wear is created to be durable, flexible, and breathable. As such, you can simply toss them in your washer and do a normal spin. However, if you want your pretty gym clothes to look decent for a long time, follow these important steps:
- Allow your clothes to breathe. Yeah, gym clothes are kind of gross since you sweat in them a lot but you’ve got to let them air out for easier cleaning and to prevent them from accumulating more germs (which can cause body odor to stick onto your clothes regardless of how many times you wash them).
- Try pre-washing them with vinegar. For gym clothes that are too expensive to throw away but too smelly to wear despite normal washing, you might want to soak them up in vinegar. Vinegar is known to be a strong and natural disinfectant, so it’s worth a shot.
- Do not machine dry gym wear: As a general rule, fitness clothes that are made out of elastic materials don’t like warm water or warm air. Instead, put them out in your backyard to air dry.
- For sports accessories made out of fabric like sweatbands and wristbands, you can use a mild detergent mixed with water and a soft-bristled brush to make sure that these essential gym accessories are odor-free and germ-free, while at the same time keeping their colors as vibrant as they first were.
You’ve taken the liberty of carefully choosing amazing gym shoes that fit comfortably and beautifully on your feet. However, if you won’t take care of them, they’re not going to last! So you might want to look into the list below to find out what you need to do in order to take care of your beloved gym shoes:
- Understand the make of your sports shoes. We all know that athletic shoes aren’t made equal. They serve different kinds of purposes from running, walking, playing basketball, soccer, and even bowling. So you first have to know what material your shoes are made of so you know what to avoid and what cleaning items you need to maintain them.
- Since most training shoes are made out of rubber and fabric, here’s a tip for shoes like that: For the love of God, don’t throw your shoes in the washing machine! You don’t want to soak and ruin a perfect pair of shoes just because you’re too lazy to clean them. Use a brush dipped in warm water and mild detergent and scrub away gently. Dry them out before using and you’re good to go
- Clean your shoes regularly. While the cleaning part sounds simple, you have to make sure to do it at least every 2 months or so. Consistency in cleaning will make sure that your shoes will last a lot longer.
- Use your gym shoes for the gym alone. It’s easy to wear out your sneakers if you try to use them in the gym and even hanging out. A good athlete knows he or she needs to switch it up and delegate the use of one (or two) specific shoes for their workout needs. By doing so, you’d also be delaying the time you need to clean your shoes since they’re basically used only for a few hours a day.
If you don’t have a lot of money to spare on buying gym clothes and shoes on the regular, then I suggest you follow these simple steps. And besides, cleaning your stuff is a workout in itself so that’s like hitting two birds with one stone!
*Photos by Maksim Goncharenok