Let’s face it, braces aren’t always the most fun experience to go through. It’s bad enough when you’re a child or a teenager, and definitely far more embarrassing when you’re an adult.
Luckily, the advances in science and technology the world has seen over the last 2 decades in the medical field have been tremendous. There are leaps and bounds in the study of dentistry and orthodontics that have made wearing braces far less painful and humiliating than it used to be. In fact, they’re also considered a fashion statement by some trendsetters!
With the range of dental treatments available worldwide, there are plenty of options for you to choose from. In today’s article, we’ll take a look at two of them specifically – clear braces and Invisalign – so that you can figure out which of these options works best for you.
What Are Clear Braces?
Clear braces are also known as ceramic aligners. Much like any other form of braces, they are orthodontic tools that are used to correct teeth that are improperly aligned or fix problems arising from bites.
They are made up of clear or tooth-colored ceramic brackets secured to the surface of the teeth with similarly coloured wires and rubber bands that blend in with the colour of the teeth. The only difference between clear braces and regular ones is that the former is made from ceramic, while the latter consists of metal for the most part.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a form of clear aligners. They are plastic, transparent orthodontic tools used to straighten uneven or misaligned teeth without the use of metal braces.
Invisalign consists of a series of customised clear braces that cover your teeth and gently pull them into the right place over time. They are clear and can be removed which also means that they are less noticeable than normal metal braces. The increasing popularity of clear aligners means that it’s easy to find Invisalign Winnipeg.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Invisalign and Clear Braces?
There are a whole bunch of pros and cons to both Invisalign and clear braces. We’ve listed out a couple of them below.
1. Clear braces are fixed to your teeth for the whole duration that you have to have them on. In contrast, Invisalign can be taken on and off. That means Invisalign is a lot easier to manage when it comes to eating food without it getting stuck in your teeth. But it also means that you have to be extremely disciplined about wearing your Invisalign aligners for at least 22 hours a day. If you skip wearing these kinds of orthodontic tools for long enough, your progress will be delayed and you might even have to get them refitted with your dentist, further increasing your treatment costs.
2. Dental hygiene is easier with Invisalign when compared to clear braces. This is based on the fact that they can be removed. You have to be more diligent about your dental hygiene with clear braces on.
3. Invisalign is usually more expensive than clear braces.
4. Invisalign cannot always be used to treat orthodontic issues. Severe issues may need wired braces, in which case clear braces are a preferable option from a cosmetic point of view.
5. Like regular braces, clear braces have certain food restrictions. With Invisalign being removable, it doesn’t bring as many limitations on what you can eat.
6. Invisalign aligners are easier to lose since they’re not attached to your teeth.
7. Invisalign has a shorter and less painful adjustment period when compared to clear braces.
Whichever form of orthodontic treatment you choose, it’s vital for you to have a good dentist to consult with. Reach out to experts if you want to learn more about clear braces or Invisalign in Winnipeg.
*Photo by Diana Polekhina