One of the most stressful experiences of parenthood is providing children with the best diet. Parents always try to provide the best and safest diet to their children, and in doing so they have to think a lot. Everything from the selection of ingredients to the storage of food accompanies several important questions. Deciding on how to store baby food safely, raises many concerns among parents. One such concern is whether it is better to store baby food in glass or plastic?
The answer to this question depends on several factors, and parents need to consider all the essential factors while coming up with the final answer. The factors include but are not limited to safety, convenience, affordability, and quality of material of the container used for storing baby food.
Out of all these factors, the quality of material used in the container for storing baby food is the most important one. The quality of the material is directly linked with the safety of food stored. If you are lucky enough to get your hands on good quality products like the ones offered by WeeSprout, then you are good to go with both options. Otherwise, you need to invest many efforts and time in deciding the better option.
From the conducted research, it can be argued that both storage methods have their pros and cons. Here in this article, we will provide you with an overview of both these options along with their pros and cons. Read it to get all your concerns addressed and to make a better decision.
Storing Baby Food in Glass Containers
Glass containers are popularly used for storing baby food all over the world. Many pediatricians and health experts have emphasized the importance of using glass containers for the storage of baby food. The main reason behind the usage of glass containers is that glass is non-toxic, hence storing baby food in it is considered safe.
Glass containers provide an air-tight seal to keep the baby food fresh and protected from germs for a long time. Also, these containers are compatible with the dishwasher, so their cleanliness is not an issue. You can even microwave or refrigerate the food stored in glass containers, without having to take extra precautionary measures. Provided below are some pros and cons associated with glass containers:
Pros of Glass Containers
- Glass containers are easily available all over the world in all sizes.
- Glass containers are prepared in a controlled environment and are free from BPA and other harmful materials
- You can reuse your glass containers for different purposes over the year
- Being compliant with the dishwasher, glass containers are easy to clean. You can even sterilize them occasionally to get rid of germs.
- Glass doesn’t impose food to any risk of chemicals even when microwaved
Cons of Glass Containers
- Glass containers are likely to break easily
- They are heavy
- You cannot use glass containers while traveling
- The child cannot feed himself or herself using glass containers
- They are a bit expensive
- The lid of a glass container is often made up of harmful material
These cons cause some parents to go against the idea of using glass containers for storing baby food. Still, the pros are enough to compel the majority of parents to use them for storing baby food efficiently.
Storing Baby Food in Plastic Containers
Previously plastic containers were greatly used for storing food, but now the raising awareness regarding the impact of plastic on our environment has declined in popularity. Still, the convenience associated with storing food in plastic containers makes it a popular choice among parents. Parents can store baby food in a plastic container after they are sure of the fact that the container they are using for storing food is made of high-quality material.
Plastic containers are inexpensive and are available almost everywhere in all sizes. In other words, whenever you need a plastic container, you can easily find one that is in accordance with your needs. If stored properly, plastic containers can keep the food preserved for a long time. They can last for a long duration if made of high-quality material. Most of the plastic containers are microwave and dishwasher friendly, making it further convenient for the parents. Shared below are some of the pros and cons of plastic containers:
Pros of Plastic Containers
- Plastic containers are very light in weight. This means you can take them along to gardens and wherever you want.
- You can easily carry plastic containers with you while traveling without the fear of spills provided, there is a tight lid and lock system.
- They are unlikely to break
- Using a plastic container gives the baby independence to handle the container himself/herself
- You can reuse plastic containers over the years
Cons of Plastic Containers
- Many plastic containers include BPA and other harmful chemicals
- Plastic containers are found to impose the risk of chemicals on the food
- Usage of plastic containers is not suggested by many pediatricians and health experts
- Microwaving food in plastic containers is not appreciated
- Not ideal for storing food for a long time
- If you want to take them along to another region, the usage of plastic might be banned there and would cause you great trouble.
From all the above discussion it is clear that both these options have some pros and cons, and it is the parents’ own decision to select the option that they like best. An important thing to remember is that the type of food, temperature, the duration for storage of food, and many other such factors impact the choice of container to be used. So, parents need to carefully analyze both these options and then choose the one that is best for them.
The pros and cons that are discussed above can help you in making a more informed decision regarding the type of container best for you and your baby. If you are still unsure and cannot decide on the best option, then consider talking to your doctor or a trusted pediatrician to get their advice.