If you go to your local big box or specialty paint shop, you’ll see exterior paint can labels advertising a 20-year or 25-year warranty. You should only expect to paint your home a couple of times in your life at that rate. However, studies show that the average American home is repainted approximately every seven years.
This could mean that paint warranties from manufacturers are speculative. It could also be that people move every few years. Or it might just mean that people get bored with their current paint colors and need a change. It doesn’t matter the reason; it just means that your home will likely be repainted several times in the future.
The big question is: “Do I hire a professional to paint it?”
While I cannot give you the right answer to your specific situation, I can offer some ideas. Here are some of the most important questions to ask yourself when deciding what to do.
Are you able to dedicate the time and effort necessary to complete a home renovation project that could take several weeks?
Are you confident that you can achieve a satisfactory result?
Are there any funds available to pay a professional company for the job?
Are you able to use ladders and other climbing equipment for overhead work?
Are you willing to buy or do you already own the necessary tools?
The Benefits of DIY Painting Your Home
- I have done a lot of DIY projects over the years and there is something to be said about the satisfaction you get from completing a task well.
- You also have greater control over the final product and outcome, provided you have the skills to achieve the desired outcome.
- The most significant benefit people will list is the money they save by doing the work themselves. You can save significant money by doing the job yourself. The material cost typically accounts for 30% of the total job costs of professional painting jobs.
The Benefits of Hiring a Professional Contractor to Paint Your Home
- A professional house painting Denver contractor can finish a project in half the time, or less than what you could do in the same amount of time. They have more hours of training under their belt because this is their job. Therefore, they are more efficient at it. They will also be able to complete the task in a few days. This is because they are trying to finish the job in a timely manner to move on to their next client.
- They can help you select the right products for your project and ensure that proper preparation is done before the painting begins. Proper surface preparation and product selection will make a big difference in the longevity of your paint job.
Situations in which DIY is OK and Situations where a pro is always better
You should give it a try if you are looking to save money and if you are willing to put in a lot of effort to complete the task.
If you have reservations about any of the points I’ve mentioned here, I suggest you seriously consider hiring someone who is a professional.
If you decide to do so, Jay’s Painting LLC would love to assist you in this task. If you live in the Denver, CO area and would like some assistance with your house painting project please give us a call or visit us at https://www.jayspaintingllc.com/ to request your free, no-obligation consultation and quote.