Superfoods are foods that are nutrient-dense. Some can be whole foods like fatty fish, olive oil, yogurts, and nuts. But, superfoods can also be found in smaller foods and powders. Even just a spoonful of certain superfoods can offer incredible benefits.
Here are some of the best examples of powerful energy in a spoonful and what they can do:
- Bee Pollen: relieve inflammation, boosts liver health, strengthen the immune system
- Flax Seed: strengthens hair, works as an antioxidant, helps maintain a healthy weight
- Hemp Hearts: reduce the risk of heart disease, helps with immune response, great for improving skin issues
- Chia Seeds: help reduce cholesterol, a great source of fiber and protein, improves bone strength
- Coconut Oil: improves brain function, helps burn fat, helps you feel fuller for longer
Superfoods are not just a great way to eat beautifully. But, they are a way to maximize your health. Feeling the best version of you can be achieved by adding superfoods into your diet. They add a little zing into your meals and your body.
To enjoy these superfoods, here are some ways to incorporate them into your daily diet:
- Breakfast bowls. Add chia seeds, bee pollen, and/or flaxseeds to your breakfast bowls. Smoothie bowls are a great option for breakfast. You can get in many fruits and superfoods here. Or, add them to juices. If you do not have a juicer or lack the tools to make your own, you can purchase delicious and nutritious juices online from companies like goodnature.com. Getting them delivered is ideal for those with busy lifestyles.
- Chia pudding. Chia pudding is simply chia seeds mixed with water. Leave to set overnight in the fridge and enjoy it as your breakfast. You can add bee pollen, coconut oil, or more seeds to the top to boost your superfood intake.
- Salads and rice bowls. Add hemp hearts as a delicious topping.
- Hearty soups. Hemp hearts and coconut oil can easily be added to a soup. Whether this is homemade or bought fresh from the grocery store. You can blend it into a soup or add it on top for added flavor and health.
- Cook your meal in coconut oil. This will help you easily consume coconut oil in your everyday diet.
- Enjoy a smoothie and blend it with bee pollen, chia seeds, and coconut oil.
- Flaxseed cookies. You can easily use flaxseed in baking delicious treats, such as cookies, cakes, and biscuits.
Keep these superfoods easily accessible in your kitchen. Add them to anything and everything. You can enjoy them in salads, oatmeal, cereal, yogurts, smoothies bowls, and more.
To maximize the number of superfoods in your diet, try to incorporate these in at least two of your meals daily. Not only will this help your aid in a more plant-based diet but, your body, your skin will thank you. These superfoods are vitamins in a spoon. They work by increasing your metabolic digestions, your energy and supporting your heart health with Omega 3’s and 6’s.
Superfoods can easily be incorporated into any diet, no matter if you eliminate or restrict certain food groups. Most are suitable for all allergies, aside from bee products. Thus, most people can enjoy them and the benefits they offer.
Similarly, adaptogens are great to add to your diet to attain health benefits. They are similar to superfoods in that they are great for your health. Now is the time to add an adaptogen herb to your daily diet. These natural plant compounds (herbs, mushrooms, berries, roots, and spices) are believed to help regulate our bodies and have been around for centuries, specifically in Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese medicine.
Ashwagandha, turmeric, maca, and Rhodiola are the real power players. All are mood influencers that are known to help with depression and anxiety. They all help balance cortisol levels which are stress hormones. Think of it as a natural bodily alarm system. It works with your brain to release stress and control your mood. In high-stress situations, cortisol helps fight off fear instincts and lower stress and fear.
Adaptogens will make you feel good, in the same way, food and exercise can. Therefore, finding ways to add them to your diet is essential and simple. They can be used as powders, supplements, and teas. Or, added to recipes for flavor and wellness. But, never replace superfoods and adaptogens for other food sources. Implementing both into your diet is key, especially the real food over the supplement. Having both in your diet will maximize the benefits as well as your health.
*Photos by alleksana