Are you someone who can’t resist a good cup of coffee in the morning? If so, you’re not alone. In fact, Americans are drinking more coffee than ever. 64 percent of Americans drink a cup of coffee every day, which is up 2 percent from just a couple of years ago.
If you’re a regular coffee drinker, then chances are that you’ve already heard of bulletproof coffee. It seems to be popping up on menus left and right, and chances are, you already have a friend or two who rave about it. But, is bulletproof coffee really all it’s cracked up (or should we say brewed up) to be?
Check out this guide to learn about the benefits of bulletproof coffee.
What is Bulletproof Coffee?
First things first, what exactly is this coffee all about? Bulletproof coffee is a beverage that consists of brewed coffee, medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) coconut oil, and grass-fed unsalted butter. You can check out this bulletproof coffee recipe to learn exactly how to make it.
Due to its ingredients and nutritional content, bulletproof coffee is very popular amongst those who follow a high-fat, low carbohydrate diet. Many people who follow the keto diet are big fans of bulletproof coffee.
Bulletproof coffee is designed to be drunk on an empty stomach, and ideally, as a substitute for breakfast. The combination of calories and fat makes it an appropriate meal substitute, and the caffeine can help fuel your morning workout.
While the nutritional content will vary depending on how you make it, the average bulletproof coffee has anywhere from 250-500 calories. A single tablespoon of MCT oil is around 100 calories, as is a single tablespoon of butter.
Therefore, if you’re trying to watch your calories, bulletproof coffee may not be the best choice for you.
Benefits of Bulletproof Coffee
So, now that you know a little bit about bulletproof coffee, you’re probably wondering, what are its benefits? To get a full picture of the benefits of bulletproof coffee, let’s take a look at each ingredient:
Even though coffee may not be great for your teeth, it’s no secret that coffee is great for your overall health.
In case you needed more reasons to drink coffee, here are some of the top benefits:
- Reduces pain: Just a couple of cups of coffee per day can help reduce muscle pain from working out
- Good source of fiber: Just a single cup of coffee has nearly 2 grams of fiber
- Protects your body against cirrhosis of the liver
- Lowers your risk of Type 2 diabetes
- Lowers your risk of Alzheimer’s
- Reduces the risk of depression
- Protects you against developing Parkinson’s
- Reduce your risk of heart disease
- Reduces your risk of multiple sclerosis and colorectal cancer
- Reduces the risk of gout and liver cancer
- Black coffee prevents cavities (although adding sugar or milk negates this benefit)
- Prevents retinal damage
- Protects against melanoma
- Reduces your risk of dying from a heart attack
And, we can’t forget about the most important benefit of drinking coffee- it helps you get along with your coworkers early in the morning!
In all seriousness though, it’s clear that the benefits of drinking coffee are quite extensive. However, it’s important to keep in mind that these benefits apply to caffeinated coffee, and not decaf coffee. And, if you add sugar or milk to your coffee, you may not reap the same benefits.
Also, keep in mind that caffeine isn’t healthy for everyone. If you suffer from heart issues, have a caffeine sensitivity, or are currently pregnant, drinking coffee may not be a good idea.
Also, remember that the key to reaping the benefits of coffee is moderation. Otherwise, you could end up dealing with more health issues due to caffeine. In general, you should try to stick to 2 to 3 cups per day.
Now, let’s talk about the other key ingredient in bulletproof coffee- MCT oil. MCT oil is manufactured by a machine in order to separate the medium fatty acids from the rest of the oil (usually, this is coconut oil or palm kernel oil).
Basically, MCT oil is a much more concentrated form of coconut oil. Now, why do people rave about it so much? Here are the top benefits:
- Boosts brain and memory function
- Boosts energy levels and increases endurance
- Help with weight loss and weight management
- Lowers cholesterol
- Lowers blood sugar levels
However, with all these benefits, it’s important to keep in mind that MCT oil is high in fat and in calories. So if you’re watching your weight, you need to be careful about how much you consume.
Now, for the final ingredient- grass-fed butter. If you’re wondering, “Why grass-fed butter over regular butter?”, here’s what’s so great about it:
- Grass-fed butter is higher in beta-carotene, omega-3s, CLA, vitamin A, D, E, K, and antioxidants than grain-fed butter
- Grass-fed butter is high in butyrate, which is a short-chain fatty acid that prevents inflammation, increases metabolism, protects against mental illness, improves body composition, and improves gut health
- High in unsaturated fats
Overall, grass-fed butter is a much better option than regular butter. Again, you just need to be careful about how much you add to your coffee because it’s high in calories.
In addition to all of these benefits, many people report that bulletproof coffee provides them with an energy boost that lasts for hours.
And, people like bulletproof coffee because it doesn’t have a post-caffeine crash. People also find that they’re able to be productive for hours when drinking bulletproof coffee and that it curbs their sugar cravings.
Now that you know about the benefits of bulletproof coffee, it’s time to drink up.
And, once you have your cup of bulletproof coffee brewing, be sure to check back in with our blog for more health-related articles.